Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Planting time

It's that time again. Time to get ready to plant the flowers for fall and winter. And while the Vinca is still full and pretty, it was starting to show some signs of yellowing around the leaves. They just don't do as well once the cooler weather starts. So yesterday I had my sweet husband do the dirty work of pulling them up. He was very opposed to this since he thinks along the lines of "leave them in until they die completely". But he did it anyway. So this afternoon I had the help of K. and Hoss and we just finished planting two flats of pansies. They were also way to much help with it came to watering them. This is their favorite part of helping mommy's flowers. They are now in the ground and will have plenty of time to get established before the first real frost comes to our area.

Now all I have to do is replant two flats of my pinks (or dianthus) that my husband so kindly killed with weed poison at the end of the summer. I'm still not sure how he confused these pretty flowers for weeds but that's another story I guess. These are in the back yard so it's easier to plant them. The kids tend to wander off and play in the back, instead of helping me plant. These too should have plenty of time to get established before they die off for the winter. They will come back in early spring and surprise me with their pretty colors once again.

I'm still considering planting some bulbs also but haven't decided on which ones. It will probably be the daffodils since they do really well in this area. I always love seeing them in other yards and think it's time I enjoyed them in my own.

3 comments:

nicole said...

Oooohh, I'm jealous. We're always talking about planting but have yet to do it. Partly because we don't have gutters and worry they would wash away in the first heavy rain. Still, we should just do it. I'll be calling you for tips.

Anonymous said...

Planting a garden always makes me smile!
Daffodils are my favorite Spring bulb.
You have a very handsome gardner helping you out, who looks like he's having a blast.

Anonymous said...

This is the first year I have planted Vinca (I am a novice), but I will plant it from now on! I can't believe how wonderfully it flourished even in our extreme drought. I didn't water like I should have (and for a few months we weren't allowed to water), and it is still beautiful! Enjoy your gardening!