Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Conflicting emotions

My son Z. had this to say in the car this afternoon. It pretty much sums up my feelings as well as his.

Z- Hurry up school and begin. Slow down summer so I can still enjoy you.

When I asked him why he felt this way he just replied that he missed school and was ready to get back to it. Also, he was a bit bored and wanted to see his friends. But he isn't quite ready to give up all that summer means for him (i.e. swimming, hanging out with his neighborhood friends, staying up way to late, lots of extra video game time).

I am with him, I am ready for school to begin so I can get back into a routine of sorts but I'm really going to miss having him around all the time. He really is a neat kid and I have really enjoyed all the extra time I have with him during the summer. So it looks like we both have conflicting emotions, like so many other families this time of year.

2 comments:

Corrie said...

I can relate, too! I'm a bit tired of the heat though, so I'm not sure how much more summer I can take!

Cindy Swanson said...

What an insightful comment! I also find myself looking forward to autumn, but struggling with giving up the wonderful things about summer.

Love your blog!