Friday, April 11, 2008

Never To Big

Just when I think things are settling down a bit with the kids, we enter a new phase. Right now, Z. is the one that is going through his phase. He has a bit of a sassy mouth. Add to the sass a bit of tone and you are guaranteed to sound like my oldest. We have talked until we are blue in the face to him about his sass but it just doesn't seem to be making much of an impression. He is nine, almost ten and I know he is testing his limits. But this mom is ready for him to be done with this phase. Now we have Hoss, who thinks his big brother walks on water, doing the same thing just so he can be like his big brother. The other day, when I had heard enough out of the both of them, I layed down the law. Talk nicely or else I would start treating them to soap in the mouth. (I'm a mean mean mom, I know) For whatever reason, they didn't seem to believe me.

And sure enough in less than ten minutes time Z. had opened his sassy mouth again. He really tried to argue his way out of punishment. But when I told him he had a choice of opening up and taking it like the sailor man he sounds like or else having a double treatment, he for once clammed up and took his punishment. And boy was he ever mad. I mean, I was laughing so hard my sides hurt he was that mad. Naturally, Hoss soon had to follow his brother's lead and ended up in the same predicament. Only he didn't argue like his brother.

Once both boys were allowed out of their rooms Z. came storming down the stairs. (He does hold a grudge...hmmm I wonder where he got that from...) He came over and found the label for the soap and began to read. He obviously found what he was looking for since he brought it over to me and said here mom read this warning label it said, "Keep out of reach of children". And then began to tell me how dangerous it is for me to do this, I might cause permanent damage. I then told him to keep on reading where it says "if swallowed drink a glass of water" and pointed out that if he swallowed it then he could just have some water and not to worry about permanent damage since it leaves a nice fresh scent. The only thing I could think of was the movie "A Christmas Story" where Ralphie had gone blind after having his mouth washed out with soap. So I warned him that if he keeps it up I will just have to get the lye soap that may cause blindness next time he sasses me. (I still don't know if he believes me or not) But he stopped his arguing and I have seen a huge improvement the last few days. And for whatever reason both boys are getting along much better now that they have both suffered the soap treatment. They just look at each other and say, you don't want the soap it's the worst thing ever. As for me, I also have this terrible urge to watch "A Christmas Story" now, and I still can't help but laugh at the image of Ralphie (or Z.) becoming blind at what their mean moms did to them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha ha ha. I remember when my oldest was 11 or 12 and man did she have an attitude. I threatened her with the same and she just went OFF. She was screaming and yelling and telling me how it was abuse and they taught her at school they could call child protective services, yada, yada. Her Dad started seeing red and started arguing with her. Suddenly I felt calm and knew what to do. I walked over to the phone and handed it to her. I said, go ahead please call. Just remember, tonight you may be spending the night in foster care and we will get some peace and quiet.

The shock on her face was priceless! After that we didn't have much sass from her at all.

Anonymous said...

Oh the joys of the sassy mouth. Wonder how soon the boys will sass you now...hehehehehe